We’ve known for a while that sound has the power to soothe us, for example, a peaceful musical composition, or the sound of waves breaking on a beach. In fact, music therapy is a field that’s about 75 years old, with it’s psychological components including psychoanalytic, humanistic, and behavioral branches. Similarly, sound can evoke many other outcomes within us, including pain relief, enhancing concentration and more. This article is about one specific sound frequency and its impact on our health.
Sound can be described in different ways, once of which is the number of vibrations per second, also called Frequency. Sounds of different frequencies have different effects on us, and also varies in pitch. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch and vice versa.
In this article, we’ll focus on the beneficial effects of 40 Hz sound. As always, this piece is based on peer reviewed journal articles, which I encourage you to look up and read.
- Alzheimer’s Disease: Vibratory sound between 10 – 100 Hz has been found to have a beneficial effect on neurite growth, with this effect peaking at 40 Hz.
- Cerebral Palsy: Application of 40 Hz sine waves, applied via a vibratory mat, in 20 minute sessions, twice a week for 12 weeks, improved, spasticity and gross motor function.
- Rett’s Syndrome: Impacts autonomous nervous system function mostly in females. Improvements were observed with the application of 40 Hz sound.
- Pain Relief: Low Frequency Sound Stimulation (LFSS) at 40 Hz helps relieve pain from Fibromyalgia.
- Oscillatory Coherence: A neural phenomenon that is linked to our continued wellbeing, oscillatory coherence is encouraged by the use of 40 Hz tones and binaural beats.
- Chronic Back Pain is aided by 40 Hz vibration, which encourages enhanced mobility and in some cases, corrects misaligned cervical spines.
- Attentional Blink Mitigation, a phenomenon where a second object cannot be detected when it appears quite soon after the first, is reduced via 40 Hz binaural beats.
- Mood, memory and cognition can be improved via 40 Hz binaural beats.
- Better sleep for patients of Alzheimer’s disease.
If you’re looking for 40 Hz sounds themselves, please join my WhatsApp group, Sacred Sounds, where these sounds are introduced regularly for different applications.
- Possible Mechanisms for the Effects of Sound Vibration on Human Health
- The effect of low-frequency sound stimulation on patients with fibromyalgia: A clinical study
- The magics of 40 hertz
- 40-Hz Binaural beats enhance training to mitigate the attentional blink
- Gamma entrainment frequency affects mood, memory and cognition: an exploratory pilot study
- Sensory-Evoked 40-Hz Gamma Oscillation Improves Sleep and Daily Living Activities in Alzheimer’s Disease Patients