When I wrote this article on Hypertension Basics, a few comments suggested looking into the use of garlic to reduce blood pressure. I did and found there were studies on the subject. Here’s a brief of my findings and at the end, an answer to the question – does garlic lower blood pressure?
To answer this question, I looked at studies that wanted to answer the same question and they in turn analysed the results of numerous published trials to reach their conclusions. Studies that agree with garlic being an effective approach towards the treatment of hypertension have the following to say:
- Garlic for hypertension: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. : safe and effective approach to hypertension; more rigorous trials needed before a recommendation can be made.
- Garlic Lowers Blood Pressure in Hypertensive Individuals, Regulates Serum Cholesterol, and Stimulates Immunity: An Updated Meta-analysis and Review. : potential to lower blood pressure in hypertensive individuals, garlic may be considered as a complimentary treatment option for hypertension, future long term trials are needed.
- A systematic review and metaanalysis on the effects of garlic preparations on blood pressure in individuals with hypertension. : garlic may lower blood pressure in hypertensive individuals, evidence is not strong, more trials needed.
- Effect of garlic on blood pressure: a meta-analysis. : garlic can help hypertensive patients.
- Aged garlic extract reduces blood pressure in hypertensives: a dose-response trial. : aged garlic extract is effective for uncontrolled hypertension.
Conclusion: The consumption of garlic may be beneficial for hypertensive patients, with no documented side effects, even though most studies say more trials are needed. It’s worth a shot.
We use Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Cardiovascular Original Formula Capsules (300 mg x 2 capsules daily for at least 8 weeks onward) at home, associated as it is with cardiovascular health benefits beyond hypertension. I’ll address those in a separate article.
The link for Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Cardiovascular Original Formula Capsules leads to Amazon and if you buy from there, a few rupees are directed our way at no cost to you. This helps us spend time on tracking research and writing freely available articles like this one.